City University of London
Learn about our first university strategic partnership with City University London.
We are pleased to be launching our first strategic university partnership with City University of London. Founded in 1894, the university has been at the forefront of a national initiative to embed social responsibility into the STEM professions, as well as the university itself, now ranked first in London and fifth in the country for its sustainable practices. It is committed to academic excellence for business and the professions, based in the heart of London’s design community, with a diverse and international student body. In 2016, City University of London began running the Engineering for People Design Challenge, since then, nearly 1,000 students across the engineering department have participated in the international education programme.
“City is delighted to be partnering and making history with Engineers Without Borders UK. This outstanding charity is establishing its first-ever strategic partnership with our university and deepening its five-year relationship with our School. This will further our commitment to educating socially responsible STEM professionals, clearly illustrated through joint innovative engineering design programmes, such as the Engineering for People Design Challenge and our soon to be launched, Efficiency for Access Design Challenge.”
Professor Rajkumar Roy, Dean of City’s School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering
Aims of partnership
You can now read about the impact of our first year partnering with City, University of London. The report highlights what we have achieved, including the strengths of our first year working together.
During our three year partnership with City University London, we will:
- Run project-based Designathons and Design Challenges in the curriculum.
- Co-create real-world educational resources and accelerate training of early-career academics.
- Work with educators to provide a programme of support and facilitate volunteering opportunities for a broad and diverse group of people to shape the education of 3,000 students
- To strengthen research on socially responsible STEM technologies and solutions
- Re-establish a University Chapter as a mechanism for student-led activities
- Share our work, approach, and learnings broadly to influence a wider sector change.
- Gather evidence from our partnership to track the success and failings of approaches that focus on how to take action on the need to develop socially responsible professions.
“We’ve been working in universities since 2004, and it’s fantastic to be able to launch our strategic initiative with City, University of London. This is absolutely the type of collaboration we need to ensure that the workforce of tomorrow is prepared to creatively respond to our future challenges. Over the next three years, we will work together with the School of Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics to design a broad, cohesive package of work, all aimed to inspire and nurture social responsibility considering the global perspective and produce world-class graduates. Through experimenting with various approaches, we hope to demonstrate the sheer power and potential of future STEM professionals to create inclusive solutions that work for us all.”
Emma Crichton, Head of Engineering, Engineers Without Borders UK
Corporate partnerships play a crucial role in our mission. We work closely alongside your teams to deliver outstanding, mutually-beneficial partnerships that engineer a better future for us all.