Welcome to Reshaping Engineering 2024
The virtual design challenge working to reshape how engineering is taught and practised.
What is Reshaping Engineering?
Reshaping Engineering is a month-long virtual design challenge that invites student and professional participants from around the world to design solutions that could reshape how engineering is taught and practised, to ensure a safe and just future for all.
Intended for those with and without engineering expertise, participants will tackle a real-world brief that will facilitate a deeper and broader understanding of the impacts of engineering and the approaches for putting global responsibility at the heart of all we do.
- Participants will self-select or be assigned to a team with a diverse range of experience and expertise.
- Together you will tackle a real-world design brief, identifying a key challenge area within engineering education or practice before designing a solution using the design thinking process.
- Teams will be assigned a professional mentor with expertise in globally responsible engineering approaches, who will provide guidance and feedback throughout the design process.
- The designs will then be assessed by a panel of expert judges who are already leading change in the sector.
- The winners will be announced during a celebration event on Thursday 7 March.
Throughout the month, participants will be taken on a learning journey grounded in the Global Responsibility Competency Compass, exploring key resources that will deepen their understanding of sector-wide challenges and the current initiatives working to address them.
- Registration closes on Wednesday 10 January
- Launching on Thursday 25 January
- Final submissions due Thursday 29 February
- Celebration event (winners announced) on Thursday 7 March
Overall, we expect the challenge to require 4-5 hours of your time per week (around 20 hours in total).
Who is this for?
Reshaping Engineering is for anyone looking to grow their professional skills in line with ever-evolving global challenges – whether you’re working in the engineering sector or not, have a technological or non-technological background, or you’re completing your studies.
We encourage those who are in employment to consider how this opportunity could contribute to Chartership or CPD Accreditation, and to explore with your employer how the challenge could be embedded in your day-to-day work.
Hear from previous participants
Meet the mentors
Reshaping Engineering 2024 is well underway! This year, we’re delighted to be supported by another fantastic team of expert mentors, who are bringing their experience in globally responsible engineering practices to provide feedback to the teams.
The results are in for Reshaping Engineering 2023
Explore the innovative solutions developed by student and professional teams participating in the Reshaping Engineering 2023 design challenge.
A look inside the “Ethical Engineer’s Toolbox”
We caught up with the winners of Reshaping Engineering 2023 about their solution to educate STEM students across all levels of education in ethical engineering.