Responsible for: Evolving and delivering the strategy of Engineers Without Borders UK.
Location: London, UK with flexibility to work remotely. Our current working principle is 25% of time in the office, including a monthly team day.
Type of post: Full time (37.5 hours per week), permanent
Leave: 24 days per annum, plus public holidays and 27-31 Dec
Application deadline: 9am Friday 21 January
Engineers Without Borders UK has long championed the need for engineers to understand the vital role that they play in addressing the grand challenges facing society today. In 2021, we refreshed our strategy, emphasizing the need to put global responsibility at the heart of how all engineering is taught and practiced to ensure a safe and just future for all.
We are now seeking a new Chief Executive to help realise this vision, working alongside our staff team, trustees, members, partners and collaborators to drive the strategy forward to inspire sector wide change.
About the role
Our ambition is to reach higher, go further and increase impact. To do this we need a strong foundation and clear direction. Our new Chief Executive will focus on four key areas:
- Leading: inspiring and driving the organisation, including our staff, volunteers and members.
- Building: supporting and growing a diverse movement of individuals and organisations.
- Influencing: encouraging the wider engineering community to support their agenda.
- Delivering: developing and implementing plans to deliver the goals set out in the 2020-2031 strategy.
To ensure you’re the right person for the role and can achieve success for yourself and Engineers Without Borders UK, we think that the following skills, expertise, and attitudes are essential for the role of Chief Executive:
- Senior level experience of leading organisations and driving cultures of excellence.
- Experience of organisational design and improvement programmes.
- Strong interpersonal skills to support and empower the staff team and movement.
- An excellent communicator and relationship builder, with demonstrable ability to inspire, influence and energise a range of audiences.
- Ability to talk credibly about engineering and its role in addressing our global challenges. Regardless of experience, you will bring an appetite to deepen your understanding.
- Versatile, strategic and hands on. You’ll be expected to lead with a ‘can do’ and collaborative attitude, be highly organised, solutions oriented and a self-starter.
- Experience of income generation. Experience with corporate partnerships and earned income is highly desirable.
- Strong numeracy skills with experience of financial management (budgeting, monitoring performance, forecasting).
- Experience of working with or participating on a board.
- Commitment to Engineers Without Borders UK’s purpose and passionate about the potential of the engineering community to meet the needs of people within the limits of our planet.
diversity, equity and inclusion
Engineers Without Borders UK is guided by a set of principles that we believe will help ensure that all viewpoints and knowledge are heard, included and respected.
We especially encourage applications from people of colour, LGBTQ+ people (we are a trans-inclusive organisation), people with disabilities, and people who have experienced other exclusion or marginalisation.
We are working with charity recruitment specialists Harris Hill. If you would like to receive an Information Pack with the full role overview and details on how to apply, please send a CV in confidence to their consultant Nick Shanks at [email protected].
For an informal and confidential conversation about the position, please contact Nick at the above address with your contact details, and suitable times to chat.
Please note: responding to this advertisement will not in itself be considered an application. We will need a CV and a supporting statement addressing the full person specification in the information pack.
Closing date for applications: 9am, Friday 21 January 2022
Engineers Without Borders UK is committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability, irrespective of gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, nationality, sexuality, religion or belief, marital status or social class.