We’re looking for three trustees to join our board to ensure effective governance and provide advice and assistance, utilising your expertise to support the achievement of Engineers Without Borders UK’s vision.
Responsible for: Duties of a Trustee, e.g. adherence to charity regulations.
Location: Remote, but ability to attend some quarterly board meetings and subcommittee meetings in central London, UK is desirable (when permitted under COVID-19 guidelines).
Type of post: Three year term. Approximately one day per month.
Remuneration: Voluntary. Expenses can be reimbursed.
Application deadline: Sunday 6 March 2022.
Interview date: 7-25 March 2022, virtually.
Start date: As soon as possible, preferably before our next Board Meeting (Wednesday 27 April).
To meet the ambitions of our 2021-2030 strategy, we are looking for individuals that bring experience in one or more of the following areas, and the interest to lead this on the Board of Trustees.
- We are a small charity with big ambitions. Operating efficiently and effectively is increasingly important as we look to grow our reach and impact with limited resources and in line with regulating bodies including the Charity Commission, OSCR and Companies House.
- A Trustee with senior-level experience in operational management and experience in/understanding of charity regulations and restrictions is highly desirable.
- Experience of human resources, risk management and/or digital transformation would be advantageous to ensure that we are well run today and focusing on continuous improvements.
- Our 2021-2030 strategy calls for us to grow a movement powerful enough to radically transform the culture of engineering. We are now looking for a Trustee to join our team to strategically support the achievement of this, bringing with them experience of action-oriented communities or movements and a deep understanding of the way movements grow, shift power, and create change.
- Experience of significantly growing the scale and impact of a movement is highly desirable.
Income generation with a focus on growth
- In recent years we have successfully focused on increasing income and growing our reserves. Now, if we are to deliver on the 2021-2030 strategy, we need to further build on this and see significant growth in income in the next three years. We expect to achieve this through purpose aligned partnerships with companies and institutions, as well as exploring new earned income opportunities.
- A Trustee with demonstrated ability to strategically guide and support the growth of income is highly desirable. This expertise could have been gained through experience in the commercial or charity sector.
Influencing and advocacy
- Our aim is to put global responsibility at the heart of how all engineering is taught and practiced. We are already a prominent voice within the sector, working with the likes of the Royal Academy of Engineering and the Engineering Council to influence their approach, policy and their interactions with government. We have strategic partnerships with major companies and universities. Our Change Makers campaign has demonstrated how entrepreneurs and innovators are incorporating global responsibility into day to day practice. Over the next decade, we want to significantly expand our influence, persuading numerous organisations to commit to global responsibility.
- We are now looking for a Trustee with experience influencing change in the sector and who can utilise their expertise to help us grow this work, providing strategic guidance and playing an active role in influencing the changes we are seeking.
In addition to the specific skills and expertise outlined in the role descriptions above, the following skills, expertise and attitudes are essential for all trustees:
- Passionate about our purpose
- An understanding of the duties of a charity trustee. Part of your role on the Board of Trustee will be to ensure that the Charity remains up to date with the latest requirements and good practice
One or more of the following is highly desirable:
- Experience working with a governing board
- Experience working in an organisation related to social/environmental justice
- Experience of driving positive change within engineering
How to apply
To apply please send a CV (two pages maximum) and a covering letter (up to two pages) to [email protected] with the role title in the subject line. Please outline clearly in your covering letter:
- Your reasons for wanting to join Engineers Without Borders UK’s Board of Trustees
- How you meet the role description and person specification
- Your availability to be interviewed between 7-25 March 2022 (virtually)
- Where you saw the role advertised
The deadline for applications is midnight (GMT) Sunday 6 March 2022 and we expect to interview shortlisted candidates between 7-25 March 2022.
We receive high volumes of applications for all roles so, to keep administrative costs to a minimum, we will only contact shortlisted candidates.
Engineers Without Borders UK is committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability, irrespective of gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, nationality, sexuality, religion or belief, marital status or social class.
Please note the following:
- We receive high volumes of applications for all roles so, to keep administrative costs to a minimum, we will only contact short listed candidates.
- Engineers Without Borders UK is committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability, irrespective of gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, nationality, sexuality, religion or belief, marital status or social class.