We’re looking for a Treasurer to join our board to ensure effective governance and to provide direction and advice to ensure staff and trustees make financially sound decisions that will support the achievement of the Engineers Without Borders UK mission.
Responsible for: Overseeing the charity’s financial administration, risk management and performance and duties of a Trustee, e.g. adherence to charity regulations.
Location: Remote, but the ability to attend some quarterly board meetings and subcommittee meetings in central London, UK is desirable (when permitted under COVID-19 guidelines).
Type of post: Three year term. Approximately one day per month.
Remuneration: Voluntary. Expenses can be reimbursed.
Application deadline: Sunday 6 March 2022.
Interview date: 7-25 March 2022, virtually.
Start date: As soon as possible, preferably before our next Board Meeting (Wednesday 27 April).
As Treasurer, you will be expected to provide insight and overview on all aspects of our financial management and reporting to support the Board of Trustees and staff to make financially sound decisions. With aspirations to grow in line with our 2021-2030 strategy, we are looking for a Treasurer who ideally has some experience in supporting growing organisations to develop supportive financial practices.
All Trustees are expected to uphold the principles of good governance and externally promote Engineers Without Borders UK positively and passionately. As Treasurer, your additional responsibilities are to:
- Advise on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plans and support the development of our financial strategies to help us deliver against this.
- Monitor the financial administration of the charity, in compliance with charity law and our governing document.
- Monitor and advise on the charity’s financial risk-management and financial viability of the charity.
- Chair the finance committee and report back to the Board of Trustees.
- Oversee the presentation of budgets, internal management accounts and annual financial statements to the board of trustees.
- Ensure that proper accounting records are kept and that financial resources are properly invested and economically spent.
- Provide Board-level liaison with our external auditors and external bookkeeping provider.
- Oversee the ongoing development of internal financial processes and policy.
- Act as a counter signatory on accounts and applications to funders where necessary.
To ensure you’re the right person for the role and can achieve success for Engineers Without Borders UK, we think that the following skills, expertise and attitudes are essential for this Treasurer role:
- Passionate about our purpose.
- Interest in the role of a Trustee.
- Experience of financial management at an appropriate level Including overseeing the preparation of accounts for audit.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, regulatory requirements of charitable finance.
- An understanding of the duties of a charity trustee. Part of your role on the Board of Trustee will be to ensure that the Charity remains up to date with the latest requirements and follows good practice.
One or more of the following is highly desirable:
- Experience working with a governing board.
- Previous experience with Charitable accounting, including presentation of accounts under SORP.
- Professional accountancy qualifications (ACA, ACCA, ACMA or equivalent).
- Professional experience in a senior role with finance function oversight.
How to apply
To apply please send a CV (two pages maximum) and a covering letter (up to two pages) to [email protected] with the role title in the subject line. Please outline clearly in your covering letter:
- Your reasons for wanting to join Engineers Without Borders UK’s Board of Trustees
- How you meet the role description and person specification
- Your availability to be interviewed between 7-25 March 2022 (virtually)
- Where you saw the role advertised
The deadline for applications is midnight (GMT) Sunday 6 March 2022 and we expect to interview shortlisted candidates between 7-25 March 2022.
We receive high volumes of applications for all roles so, to keep administrative costs to a minimum, we will only contact shortlisted candidates.
Engineers Without Borders UK is committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability, irrespective of gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, nationality, sexuality, religion or belief, marital status or social class.
Please note the following:
- We receive high volumes of applications for all roles so, to keep administrative costs to a minimum, we will only contact short listed candidates.
- Engineers Without Borders UK is committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability, irrespective of gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, nationality, sexuality, religion or belief, marital status or social class.