In east Africa, the electricity gap is being filled by small off-grid renewable-energy businesses who are providing
These green-energy enterprises are the future. We worked with our partner Energy 4 Impact to help them grow and reach more people. We helped train their engineers, increase their commercial and strategic skills, improve their products and expand into new markets.
Energy 4 Impact has provided electricity to 17 million people, preventing less sustainable methods from being used, which would have produced 13 million tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
As rural communities get access to reliable, renewable energy, the knock-on benefits are immense:
- Healthcare, education, commerce and agriculture all function more efficiently.
- The harmful use of indoor cooking fires, diesel generators and other fossil fuels fall.
- The use of renewable energy sources, such as solar power, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, helping to fight climate change.
- Street lighting increases people’s safety.
- Electric lighting means businesses can remain open outside daylight hours and children can continue studying after dark – giving them more chance to become the engineers of the future!