Could you be a design reviewer?
Help shape the engineers of tomorrow by volunteering your time to review students designs.
We have an exciting opportunity for professionals to review innovative design concepts, submitted for the Engineering for People Design Challenge. Your participation as an expert reviewer will make an invaluable contribution to the work we do by providing university students with professional feedback, helping to shape the engineers of tomorrow.
What is the Engineering for People Design Challenge?
The Engineering for People Design Challenge is an international design initiative for university students co-created by Engineers Without Borders South Africa, UK and USA. It presents students with an opportunity to design creative solutions to real-world issues and in doing so, grapple with the fundamentals of design and the role of engineering in human development. In 2019/20, the programme is reaching 8,500 students at 38 universities in South Africa, UK, Ireland and the USA, creating a generation of engineers entering the workplace ready to tackle our global challenges. Each team will produce a design a report, poster or video with a solution focusing on a particular challenge area, as presented in a design brief.
This is where you come in…
In order to make this experience as authentic as possible, we ask professionals to review the submissions.
“Reviewing provides an opportunity to spend a few hours supporting Engineers Without Borders through giving feedback to undergraduate students, whilst also being inspired by their passion, ideas and approaches to design.”
We welcome reviewers from any country in the world, providing you meet the following requirements.
- Experience of working in one or more of the following design areas: Water, Sanitation, Energy, Waste, Built Environment, Transport, Digital, or Housing.
- Ability to provide detailed, positive and constructive written feedback in English.
- Availability to complete the reviews within a two week review window (see phases below).
Next steps as a Reviewer
Apply to become an Engineering for People Design Challenge expert reviewer by choosing one of the phases below and completing our application form. Due to the international nature of the challenge, the student submissions accommodate the varying semester dates.
In the form:
- Select a thematic area you feel competent in assessing (Water, Sanitation, Energy, Waste, Built Environment, Transport, Digital, or Housing).
- Specify your availability for one or more of the reviewer phases.
- Specify the number of submissions you are able to review.
If successful in your application, you will:
- Participate in the webinar briefings.
- Review the student submissions sent to you against the provided Engineering for People Design Challenge marking criteria (60 mins per submission).
- Provide constructive comments against each review criteria- remember you are reviewing students’ work!
Each submission will be double marked (at least) to produce an average score. The scores will be used to select the top teams in each university to present at the Grand Finals event and be eligible for the various prizes on offer.
Find out more about the Engineering for People Design Challenge.
This opportunity is now closed.
The opportunity to register is now closed.
Reviewing will take place from 6-16 November 2020.