Community & Activities Officer vacancy
The Community & Activities Officer will be responsible for coordinating community involvement in our programmes and activities and supporting the delivery of key events.
Location: London, UK
Type of post: Full time, 18 month contract
Salary: £22.5-25k per annum depending on experience
Leave: 24 days per annum, plus public holidays and 27-31 December
Pension: Up to 5% matched employer contribution to workplace pension scheme
Start date: As soon as possible
Deadline: Midnight (GMT), Sunday 19 July 2020
Interview: w/c 3 August 2020, London/Virtually
We lead a movement to put global responsibility at the heart of engineering. We do this through our awareness raising campaigns, our engineering education programmes delivered in universities around the world and by showcasing globally responsible engineering in practice.
We recognise the impact engineering has on people and the planet every day. Embedding global responsibility is embedding social and environmental responsibility into engineering mindsets and knowhow. This delivers better technologies, systems and infrastructure to serve all people and the planet today and for generations to come.
As a movement we can achieve so much more by empowering others and working in partnership than we could acting alone. We’re proud to be part of a global movement of over 60 Engineers Without Borders organisations around the world who together are delivering long-term positive social and global development.
About the role
Since Engineers Without Borders UK was established over 15 years ago, people and community have been at the heart of what we do and how we do it. We would not be where we are today without the hard work of many hundreds of people who have volunteered their time to build our movement and benefit people through our training and project work, to date this extends to over 67,000 people. We’re now significantly increasing that number annually, so we’re looking for a Community & Activities Officer to join our team and increase our capacity to support our members and wider community to listen, learn and take collective action in support of ensuring engineering serves all people and our planet .
As our community & Activities Officer you will:
- Liaise with our community, building and maintaining relationships with and between individuals in our community, including our members, student members and academics.
- Support the key administrative processes associated with our community activities and programmes.
- Maintain and update records of community activities for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Coordinate our presence in universities.
- Facilitate engagement of our youth outreach initiative.
- Support in the delivery of the Engineering for People Design challenge.
- Support with the logistics, participant registrations and preparing the resources for events.
- Support the running of analytics and evaluation of results.
- Support with building a database based on relevant criteria and then take over management of this database to respond to and manage speaker requests throughout the year.
We value a positive working environment for everyone on our team. We therefore expect all staff to demonstrate the following characteristics: passionate about our purpose, creative, team player, respectful, inquisitive, professional, open and dependable. We expect this of new hires and you can expect this from your team mates. You can expect support throughout your time with us, including an induction, regular feedback, weekly team meetings and peer nominated recognitions.
Please send a CV (two pages maximum) and a covering letter (up to two pages) to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line. Please outline clearly in your covering letter:
- Your reasons for wanting to join the team at Engineers Without Borders UK
- How you meet the role description and person specification
- Your availability to be interviewed during the week of 3 August (virtually and/or in London)
- Your eligibility to work in the UK
- Where you saw the role advertised
Engineers Without Borders UK is committed to selecting candidates for employment based on aptitude and ability, irrespective of gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, nationality, sexuality, religion or belief, marital status or social class.